Thursday, 27 February 2014

Healthy Mexican Ground Beef and Avocado Recipe

Let me start off by saying that: I am by no means the next Nigella or Jamie Oliver.
I have however done tons and tons of recipe research and experimentation and I'd like to think that my travels have taught me a thing or two about food.

A few weeks ago I had an operation on my stomach to remove a hernia. Only this week was I able to start eating soft foods. I am not a baby food kind of girl so I decided to make another plan. I searched through endless amounts of recipes that weren't too rich (my stomach can't handle it).  So I'll stop babbling and just post this yummy healthy recipe that I made the other day :)

Ingredients: (for the meat) 

1 large onion, chopped
1 sweet pepper (ribs and seeds removed) chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste (I used curry flavored one - by mistake - but it was great!)
1 Tbsp Chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
Course salt and Ground pepper to taste
1 pound lean Ground meat (beef or chicken)
[I added some chopped jalepeno because I like spicy food, I also added a pepperdew chutney but that was an added bonus]


Cooking instructions: 

1. Brown meat in a pan on a medium heat until no longer pink
2. add the onion and pepper and cook until soft
3. add all the spices and pastes and stir into the meat and let it simmer for a couple minutes

VOILA! 

YOU WILL ALSO NEED:

-Wholewheat tortillas (yes. it is healthier. do it.)
- Avocado
-Lemon Juice
- Fat free greek or bulgarian yogurt
- Salt and pepper
(added cheddar cheese and lettuce is also great if you feel the need)

Basically, mush up the avocado with salt and pepper to taste, add a squidge of lemon juice.

*This is where the secret comes in* -- I won't tell if you won't..

Mix in a couple tablespoons of the yogurt into the avocado. Why? you may ask. Welllllll.. firstly it adds the taste of sour cream BUT it is super duper rich in protein and probiotics which we all know is fantastic.

Assemble together as you please -- I'm not bossy like that.

And most importantly-- SHARE. Why? Because it is so yum and so healthy.

I wish I had a picture to post of it's beautiful majesty however.. My friends demolished it as soon as it was out of the pan… :(

I have tons more yummy and healthy recipes that I will post and next time WITH pictures! (don't over exert yourself Liza :O)

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment